- McCammon B., “Review of Carbon Neutral Fuels with Potential for Use in Modern Steam Locomotives” , an unpublished paper prepared specifically for the 5AT Project.
- Coal – Resources and Future Production published by the Energy Watch Group in March 2007.
- Porta, L.D., “The Contribution of a New Steam Motive Power to an Oil-less World” presented at an International Seminar on Railway Technology in Mexico, July 1987. English translation not published. 4MB download).
- Keyte, J., “A Vision for the Future” published in New Zealand Solar Action Bulletin No 88 Oct 2009.
- Newman, C.J.E.,”Could there be a place for Steam Traction for Rail Transport in a ‘Sustainable Energy’ World?“, published in New Zealand Solar Action Bulletin No 88 Oct 2009.
- Newman, C.J.E., “Considerations relating to costs of ‘Sustainable’ Railway Traction Options“, published in New Zealand Solar Action Bulletin No 88 Oct 2009.
- Serchinger, R.W., Modern Steam Traction and the Protection of the Environment.
- R707 Conversion to PBC Dust Firing: transcription of Chapter 9 of the book “Hudson Power” by Robert Carlisle and Bill Abbott, published by the Australian Railway Historical Society Victorian Division in 1985, ISBN 0 85849 028 5. This digital transcription by Chris Newman July 2013 is made available through this website with the kind permission of Robert Carlisle, holder of the copyright.
- Herman H., “Brown Coal Dust Firing for Locomotives“. Chapter VI from a book titled “Brown Coal” by H. Herman (one-time State. Director of Geological Survey) published by the State Electricity Commission of Victoria, Australia in 1952.
See also the Fuels and Combustion section on the FAQ page for discussion of locomotive fuels and emissions.