Selection of Papers by L.D. Porta – Volume 3
Boiler Water Treatment and
Other Aspects of Steam Locomotive
Design and Operation
[undergoing proof checking – not yet available for sale]
The Argentinean engineer Livio Dante Porta (1922 – 2003) remains an unsung hero in the long history of steam development. Following in the footsteps of Chapelon, he rebuilt numerous locomotives in Argentina and elsewhere, and designed several revolutionary locomotives, both large and small. Like Chapelon, none of his designs were built and most of his rebuilds have been lost to the scrap merchants. He has however left a rich legacy in the form of several hundred technical papers covering a wide range of subjects and written in a variety of languages. A few of his papers were published in conference proceedings and some were left in typed format, but the majority were left as hand-written manuscripts. Some were written for specific purposes such as his “A1 Paper” that was written in the hope of influencing the design of Tornado, and his “Compounding” paper that was written to try to influence David Wardale’s design of the 5AT. Others were written for the purpose of ensuring that the development of steam locomotives would continue into the 21st century. The papers that are left to us are mostly of poor quality, having been photocopied many times and circulated amongst the “modern steam aficionados”. These can be hard to read, and most contain “Porta-isms” (grammatical errors) that require interpretation.
Chris Newman has transcribed 19 of Porta’s English-language papers and is publishing them in three volumes through the auspices of the Advanced Steam Traction Trust and with the permission of the Porta Family Foundation. This third volume offers eleven of Porta’s papers relating to several aspects of design and operation that should be of interest and relevance to the 21st Century student of steam locomotive engineering.
This volume titled “Aspects of Steam Locomotive Design and Operation” includes eleven papers as follows:
- Boiler Water Treatment;
- Laboaratory Fabrication of Diestearoilethylenediamine;
- Boiler Water Circulation;
- Combustion Calculations – The Heat Balance;
- Hudson-Orrok Heat Transfer Equation as applied to the Locomotive Boiler;
- Notes on the Flat Plate Stayed Firebox Construction for Locomotive Boilers working at 30 and 60 ate. Steam Pressure;
- Thermo-Mechanical Behaviour of Steam Loco Boiler Firebox;
- Improvements to Superheater Element Joints for Advanced Steam Locos;
- A New Superheater-Economizer Element for Advanced Steam Loco Technology;
- Hand Firing in connection with the Gas Producer Combustion System;
- Steam Locomotive: Running with Closed Regulator;
- A Note on the Optimum Value of Lead in Steam Locomotives;
- Fischer Knuckle Pin in Advanced Steam Loco Engineering.
Covering around 250 A4 pages in black and white, this volume is expected to be priced in the region of £27.
Expressions of interest in this title are welcome. Please address them to the email@example.com.