762 Lyn Design Calculations
The purpose of this book is to:-
- record the working design documents for the new 2-4-2T ‘Baldwin’ steam locomotive ‘Lyn’ in an enduring human readable format in anticipation of the current digital documentation being rendered obsolete by future software changes. Thus it is hoped that this book will enable future engineers entrusted with Lyn’s care to understand the design rationale underpinning the construction and facilitate appropriate repair and overhaul programmes.
- provide an overview of an approach to locomotive design in the 21st century in which computer modeling augments traditional methods and facilitates design optimisation. To ensure that the locomotive gave the improved performance required ‘straight from the box’ with minimal technical risk the design of Lyn moved the technology timeline from 1898 of the original to the 1950s.
The design has been inspired and guided by the published work of leading locomotive engineers L. D. Porta and David Wardale to whom grateful acknowledgment is given.
The book’s 604 pages contain the complete design documentation used to build the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway’s new 2-4-2T locomotive No. 762 “Lyn”. The locomotive is built to the outline of the original Baldwin design, but incorporates a number of “modern steam” improvements.
The publication is intended to enable future engineers to understand the design rationale and to provide an overview of an approach to locomotive design in the 21st century in which computer modeling augments traditional methods and facilitates design optimisation.
604 pages, including numerous illustrations and diagrams in both colour and B&W. Pages are A4 in size “perfect bound” with soft covers.
The purchase price for the book is £52.00 (£41.50 to ASTT members) plus postage and packing as follows:
- Within UK (included in price)
- “Within EU” applies to all EU countries – £5.00 extra..
- “World Zone 1” applies to USA and Canada – £10.00 extra.
- “World Zone 2” applies to Australasia – £10.00 extra.
- All other countries – please request cost for postage.
If you would like to order a single copy of the book please place your order through the PayPal button below:
If you wish to order more than one copy, please write to the Webmaster to enquire about discounts. Likewise, trade enquiries should be sent to the same address.
ASTT members wishing to purchase a copy should write to the Webmaster for discounted payment arrangements.
Please note: All proceeds from the sale of the book will accrue to Advanced Steam Traction Services Ltd. (ASTS), and will be used to fund its work improving the performance, reliability and/or economy of steam locomotives.