Steam vs. Diesel Debates
Downloadable Reference Material relating to Steam vs. Diesel Debates
- Newman, C.J.E., “Considerations relating to costs of ‘Sustainable’ Railway Traction Options“, published in New Zealand Solar Action Bulletin No 88 Oct 2009.
- Rhodes J., The Economics of Coal as a Locomotive Fuel on US Class 1 Railroads – an independent study project in the Transportation Policy, Operations, and Logistics Masters Degree Program at George Mason University’s School of Public Policy, Arlington, VA, USA.
- Rhodes J., The Economics of Coal as a Locomotive Fuel on US Class 1 Railroads – the PPT presentation made by John Rhodes to a meeting of the National Capital Land Transportation Committee of the Institute of Electrical/Electronic Engineers and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers in Washington DC on 9th Sept 2008.
- Newman C., “Feasibility Report on South Sumatra Rail Traction Options” (currently password protected for restricted access).
- Newman C., “Feasibility of Steam Traction of Coal Transportation in Developing Countries” as published in the proceedings of the CORE2008 Conference on Railway Engineering held in Perth, Western Australia from 7th to 10th Sept 2008 (updated 24th Jan 2010 with train resistance units corrected).
- Cluett M., “Economics of Steam Traction for the Transportation of Coal by Rail” – a PPT presentation made by Malcolm Cluett to the CORE2008 Conference on Railway Engineering in Perth, Western Australia on 9th Sept 2008.
- Newman C., Transportation of Coal by Rail in Indonesia – The Steam Option (2.5 MB) – an unpublished paper presented to Indonesian State Railway engineers 21st June 2007.
- Newman C., Traction Cost Comparisons for Indonesian Coal Haulage (0.5 MB) – text of paper presented at Modern Steam Conference in York 11 Dec 2006; also PPT slide presentation of the same paper (2.0 MB).
- Newman C., A Case for Steam unpublished paper written in 2004 to promote steam traction for a coal haulage railway in Indonesia (1 MB).
- Waller R., “Modern Steam – an Economic and Environmental Alternative to Diesel Traction”, presented to Institution of Mechanical Engineers, March 2003.
- See also: “The Red Devil and Other Tales from the Age of Steam” by David Wardale, pages ……….
- Thorpe M. and Wardale D., “Modern Steam Locomotives – Traction for the Future?“, Developing Railways 1985.
- The Serpell Report on Railway Finances (1982): an investigation into the finances of British Railways and its operations and recommendations for improvements in its efficiency.
- “The Continuing Motive Power Debate” – an extract from “The Twilight of Steam Locomotives” by Ron Ziel (1970) that discusses the paper by H. F. Brown, Ph,B., Fellow A.I.E.E. titled “ECONOMIC RESULTS OF DIESEL ELECTRIC MOTIVE POWER ON THE RAILWAYS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA” presented to the Institution of Mechanical Engineers in 1960 (see below).
- Unidentified and undated report on a debate between H.F. Brown, Consulting Engineer, Gibbs & Hill and H.G. McClean, Manager of Export Sales, GM/EMD.
- “The Economic Results of Diesel and Electric Motive Power on the Railways of the United States of America” by H.F. Brown, Ph.B., Fellow A.I.E.E. Copyright held by proceedings of Institution of Mechanical Engineers (London) Volume 175 No. 5 1961 (7.5 MB). See also “Extract from A.E. Durran`t’s “The Mallet Locomotive” published 1975” which refers H.F. Brown’s 1960 paper.