Modern Steam Papers
Downloadable Papers and Broadcasts relating to Modern Steam
The following is a list of some downloadable papers and broadcasts relating to the subject of Modern Steam.
- Solar Action Bulletin for Oct 2009 covering the topic of New Zealand Rail which includes three articles by members of the 5AT Planning Group:
- BBC “Steam Driven” broadcast originally aired on 19th July 2006 can be listened to (but not downloaded) from http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/pip/78kt9/.
- McCammon B., “Review of Carbon Neutral Fuels with Potential for Use in Modern Steam Locomotives” , an unpublished paper prepared specifically for the 5AT Project.
- Bane, M., and McMahon, S., “Porta Water Treatment” published in Steam Railway Magazine No 335, May 2007.
- Cluett M. , “Recent Developments in Steam Technology” presented to a meeting of Engineers Australia, Railway Technical Society of Australasia, Sydney Division at Chatswood, Sydney on 1st March 2007. Note: The download is of a summary of Malcolm’s paper that appeared on pages 2 to 6 of RTSA’s March newsletter. The full illustrated version of the paper has not been made available for copyright concerns.
- Wardale D., The Design of the Proposed 5AT High-speed 4-6-0 Locomotive presented at Modern Steam Conference in York 11 Dec 2006;
- Bane M., Water Treatment for Modern Steam Locomotives presented at Modern Steam Conference in York 11 Dec 2006;
- Wardale D., Comments on J. J. G. Koopmans’ 2006 thesis – ‘The fire burns much better …’ Jan 2010;
- Koopmans J.J.G., Response to Mr David Wardale’s comments Sep 2013;
- Wardale D., Final Response to J.J.G. Koopmans’ response Oct 2013;
- Fozard A. and Hind J., The Design and Development of a ‘Second Generation’ Advanced Technology Steam Locomotive presented to the Derby Railway Engineering Society 8th December 2005 (6 MB);
- Fozard A. Making the Commercial Case for the 5AT – text of paper presented at the First World Steam & Tourist Train Congress, Brienz, Switzerland on Monday, 6th October, 2003; also PPT slide presentation of the same paper (1.2 MB).
- Waller R., “Modern Steam – an Economic and Environmental Alternative to Diesel Traction”, presented to Institution of Mechanical Engineers, March 2003.
- Thorpe M. and Wardale D., “Modern Steam Locomotives – Traction for the Future?“, Developing Railways 1985
Six other papers on Modern Steam can be found in the Proceedings of a Fedecrail conference held in Barcelona in May/June 1998 titled “Lectures on Steam Locomotive Operation in the 21st Century“. The papers are as follows:
- Porta, L.D., XXIst Century Steam – The Day of Modern Steam Traction;
- Perez, J.O., Traccion a vapor moderna y sostenible – el escenario cubano (text in Spanish);
- Waller, R., Modern Steam in Revenue Service;
- Serchinger, R.W., Modern Steam Traction and the Protection of the Environment;
- Porta, L.D., Fundamental Principles of Steam Locomotive Modernization and their Application to Museum and Tourist Railway Locomotives;
- Waller, R., Steam Locomotive Components for Museum and Tourist Railways.
Note – in Aug 1977, Wardale presented a paper titled “The Steam Locomotive – Motive Power for the Future” to the South African Railways Engineering Society. Most of the content of this paper is covered in his later work “The Red Devil and Other Tales from the Age of Steam“, however, having been written so much earlier, the author’s mood is refreshingly upbeat in comparison. Furthermore, Wardale warns anyone reading the paper that it contains some fundamental errors which he only later became aware of.
The paper is in typescript form and covers 217 pages, and is not currently available on this website.