Books and Publications
Books and Publishers
Books and Printed Reference Material
Brief reviews of the following books can be found on this website through the links provided:
- 1998: Wardale D., The Red Devil and Other Tales from the Age of Steam, published by the author, Inverness, ISBN 0-9529998-0-3, reprinted 1999
- 2006: Porta L.D., Advanced Steam Locomotive Development – Three Technical Papers, published by Camden Miniature Steam, ISBN978-0-9547131-5-7
- 2000: Chapelon A., La Locomotive a Vapeur, French edition first published 1952, English translation by George W. Carpenter, published by Camden Miniature Steam, 2000, ISBN 0 9536523 0 0
- 1972: Rogers Col. H.B.C., Chapelon – Genius of French Steam, published by Ian Allan Ltd London, SBN 7110 0281 9
- 2010: Wells D., How a Steam Locomotive Works published by Ian Allan Ltd London, ISBN 978 0 7110 3434 1
- 2004: Shepherd E., Bulleid and the Turf Burner – and other Experiments with Irish Steam Traction, published by KRB Publications, ISBN 0954203585.
- 2010: Haigh A., The Design, Construction and Working of Locomotive Boilers. Published by Xpress Publications, ISBN 9781901056396
- 2012 Barnes, R., Broader than Broad, published by Camden Miniature Steam Services
- 2012 Carney, I.F., Fowler’s Fury, published by Ian Carney and Noodle Books
- 2010 Brown, W., Hush-Hush – The Story of LNER 10000 published in 2010 by Kestrel Railway Books ISBN 978-1-905505-15-9
- 2015 Wardale, D., ed. Newman, C.J.E., The 5AT Fundamental Design Calculations, published in 2015 by Chris Newman ISBN 978-1-942748-13-7.
The following books have not been reviewed on this website, but further information can be found about them where the links are provided:
- 2006: Koopmans J.J.G., The fire burns much brighter …, Thesis submitted for the degree of Ph.D., published by University of Sheffield Sep 2005, ISBN 978-90-6464-013-1
- 1985: Quayle J. P., Editor, Kempe’s Engineers Year-Book, 90th Edition, Morgan-Grampian Book Publishing Co. Ltd., London, 1985.
- 1941: Wright R. V., editor, Locomotive Cyclopedia of American Practice, Simmons-Boardman Pub. Corp., New York, 1941, as reprinted by Kalmbach Pub. Co., Wisconsin, 1972.
- 1936: Phillipson E. A., Steam Locomotive Design: Data & Formulae, The Locomotive Publishing Co. Ltd., London, 1936.
A large number of other excellent titles are listed on Martyn Bane’s website.
Magazines and Book Publishers
- Steam Railway magazine: http://www.steamrailway.co.uk/
- Railway Magazine: http://www.countrylife.co.uk/subscriptions/railway.htm
- Locomotives International: http://www.locomotivesinternational.co.uk/
- Camden Miniature Steam Services: www.camdenmin.co.uk/
- The LOK Report: http://www.lok-report.de/