The 5AT – Introduction
The 5AT – A Modern High Performance Steam Locomotive
The 5AT is an all-new high-performance steam locomotive concept for the haulage of charter and “cruise” trains on today’s congested rail networks in the UK and Western Europe.
The 5AT’s design will incorporate ‘state of the art’ steam locomotive technology that will guarantee a level of performance far exceeding that of “heritage” steam traction while retaining the traditional steam locomotive’s rugged simplicity and aesthetic appeal.
It is to feature the following general characteristics which will give it the highest level of acceptability to all sectors of the rail industry:
- High power-to-weight ratio, the key to high-speed capability (see chart on Performance page).
- Optimised adhesion;
- High thermal efficiency.
- High maximum operating speed, required for slotting in with other traffic on the modern railway system.
- High capacity tender to provide extended range;
- Low fuel and water consumptions.
- Long operating range between supplies replenishment.
- Extremely high reliability, giving high availability for service.
- Low maintenance requirements.
- Low overall operating cost.
- High route availability.
- High level of operational safety.
- High level of comfort and convenience for operating crews.
- Aesthetically attractive, offering steam ‘ambience’ and a striking ‘image’.
- Low NOx emissions.